Sweet & Creamy Blueberry Quick Oats (V / GF)
We've spent less than two total months at home in 2018 and I THOUGHT THAT was changing this month Tennessee happened and then Mexico happened and now before I can catch my breath, Colorado is happening. I can't *really* complain because I'm actually remarkably pumped to be going back to Colorado and to experience a new city (Colorado Springs) but I can say, dear concerned reader, I'm sorry. We haven't been keeping up the blog as much as usual, but I promise that's going to change come August. Pinky. Promise.
Other than failing to post daily to the blog, do you know what else traveling nonstop has done to me? I've *accidentally* eaten more than two meals a day out of drive through windows several times - WHOOPS. I mean, it's usually just something relatively not awful from Starbucks, but still not ideal. Because sometimes it's (whispers) ... Popeyes. Actually there's a really funny story involving Matt, myself, a Popeyes in Birmingham, Alabama, and a pack of whatever "Mardi Gras Mustard" is. But that's a story for another day.
So, with a week home between Mexico and Colorado, several bags of GF quick cooking rolled oats from Bob's Red Mill, and a dire need to make our own meals, we got to recipe tinkering. Which is one of my favorite kinds of tinkering.
We brought together the convenience of the quick cooking rolled oats with our favorite summer flavors - berries and sweet cream. Instead of using regular milk and sugar, the oats are cooked in almond milk (or you could use oat milk!) and the touch of sweetness comes from stevia and maple syrup (or honey). It gets an extra creamy - but still dairy free - upgrade from coconut cream, and it's fantastic rich purple flavor comes from freeze dried blueberries. Oh and we're throwing some slivered almond on top because everybody loves a little crunch crunch.
From start to finish this recipe takes about 15 minutes to make, and it can be made in advance to give you single servings throughout the week!
Sweet & Creamy Blueberry Quick Oats
makes 3 - 4 servings
- 3 cups almond milk or other non-dairy milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 teaspoons granulated stevia extract (optional, to taste)
- 1 1/2 cups Gluten Free Quick Cooking Rolled Oats from Bob's Red Mill
- 1/2 cup freeze dried blueberries
- 1 (4.5 oz) can coconut cream
- 2 tablespoons (or up to 1/3 cup, to taste) maple syrup or honey
- For topping: fresh blueberries, slivered almonds, more maple syrup or honey.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the non-dairy milk, salt, and stevia to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Keeping the stove at medium-high, add in the oats and freeze dried blueberries and give a good stir, cooking for three minutes.
- Turn of heat and let sit for five minutes to thicken up.
- Add the coconut cream and maple syrup or honey and stir to combine.
- Let sit for an additional five minutes.
- Serve warm, room temperature, or cool - top with fresh blueberries, almonds, and a drizzle of maple syrup or honey.
This post is sponsored by Bob's Red Mill, our favorite brand for all things flours, grains, and more. As always, all opinions are our own & we thank you for supporting the brands that keep Probably This up and running!