Crab & Sweet Corn Ceviche
We get asked all the time how this blog came to be, what the hell "Probably This" means, and when did it all begin. We'll cover that all some other time, but long story short it's been about 1 year since we decided to relaunch an old blog under the name Probably Baking, and turn it into a blog about our lives and kitchen fun times, called Probably This. We were being lame and sentimental last week and browsed through our old recipes and came across a recipe for crab ceviche with fried green tomatoes which was actually our first post on the blog!
I'm honestly not sure why or how we came up with that original recipe but holy shit it is so good. It's got this crunchy and salty fried green tomato piled high with crab and sweet corn ceviche and it's actually one of the best things that has ever made it's way to this site. But, it takes just a little more time to throw together than we have these days so we've done a quick variation on it, ditching the green tomato and switching up the ceviche recipe a bit. This dish can be made in like twenty minutes flat if you've got some determination (#hangry) and it's pretty much the most perfect way in the world to polish off a bag of tortilla chips and a few margaritas.
Ok ok and I know I said we'd talk about the origins of the blog at a later date, but just to fill you in on the name, Probably This, it's actually super simple. We don't know. I had called my original blog Probably Baking because whenever anyone asked me what I was doing, like "what are you doing tonight," I noticed my response was often "Probably baking." I was baking a shit ton back then, obviously. When we decided to switch over to do more than just baking and work on the blog as a couple we were like well shit now what do we call this thing. After a stressful half hour in a little cafe in Portland (literally we made this decision in half an hour), we were like, "It's Probably This, because if anyone wants to know what we're up to... probably this." Anyway, weird story, I know, k bye love you guys - maybe an actual celebratory one year blog-iversary post to come soon ;)
Crab & Sweet Corn Ceviche
Prep time 10 min // Cook time 15 min // Serves 2 - 4
- 1 lb fresh picked jumbo lump crab meat (pre-cooked from the store)
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels (about two whole cobs), fresh or frozen/defrosted
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 red tomato, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 chopped jalapeno + plus more for garnish (optional)
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon agave
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place a rack in the center position of your oven and preheat the oven to 400°. .
- Melt the butter on the stove or in the microwave and toss it with the corn kernels on a roasting pan. Drizzle the agave and add a sprinkle of salt and pepper and give it all a stir. Place in the preheated oven and roast for 15 minutes, until the kernels begin to brown slightly.
- While the corn is roasting, prepare the rest of the ceviche by adding the crab, red onion, tomato, jalapeno, lime juice, red wine vinegar, and salt and pepper to a bowl and tossing together.
- Remove the corn from the oven and transfer to a small bowl to cool down. You just want it to get near room temperature before adding it to the ceviche. Once it's been added, give the ceviche a few good stirs and serve with a few tortilla chips, or chill in the refrigerator for half an hour. This recipe will stay good overnight in the fridge when wrapped in plastic wrap, but I wouldn't let it sit much longer than that.