Just Another Kale + Avocado Salad
Hai! Welcome to the second installment of Probably Hosting, where we'll be providing you with simple, straight-to-the-point tips to take your dinner parties, dance parties, swingers' group meetings, or book clubs from basic bitch to basically bitchin'.
What does a kale salad have to do with entertaining guests? Easy! Sometimes when we get really bored, we buy a bunch of kale stalks and dress them in little outfits (cops, firemen, teachers, you name it!) and pretend we're having a party. It's so much fun, except when Librarian Kale drinks a little too much, then it gets a little weird. Just kidding, if you or a loved one does this please call a toll free number that isn't ours. We support you.
Anyway, we made this kale salad a part of Probably Hosting because it's insanely easy to make large amounts of, cost-effective, and a delicious and light addition to any summer meal. It's only three main ingredients, but it's really kind of perfect. The bitterness of the kale with the fattiness of the avocado and the sweet bite of the red onion all makes for a fairly well-rounded flavor. We bring it to almost every holiday party, and everyone loves it. They're always like pleasure-rolling their eyes and screaming "ermagerd what is in this omg!!!". So, if you want, um, that to happen, the recipe is below! Happy entertaining, cuties!
Avocado Kale Salad
Makes about 6 servings. Can easily be doubled or tripled.
- 2 large avocados
- juice of 1-2 lemons, depending on desired acidity
- 3 T olive oil
- About 2 bunches of curly kale, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, sliced (feel free to use less or more!)
- Salt and pepper
- Peel and pit the avocados. Cut into small pieces and transfer to a large bowl
- Add the lemon juice and olive oil.
- Begin mashing it all together with a fork (or your hands if you'rewild) until it's mostly smooth with just a few small chunks.
- Add the red onion and kale and toss together, until evenly coated in the avocado dressing.
- Salt and pepper to taste, and enjoy!
Last time we made this we fried some shrimp in corn four and threw them on top, do that! It's also great with grilled chicken or salmon, or by itself as a side.